Your interactive family guide to Italy as recommended by local mums | Last updated 12 months ago

Moving to Italy

Cars & Driving

Although it may seem at first that all Italian drivers are practising for the Grand Prix, their reactions are amazingly quick and surprisingly few accidents occur. Once you adjust to the Italian style of driving, it is not as alarming as it may at first seem.

In case of a minor accident with only minor damage and no injuries, exchange full details of insurance companies, licence plates, driving licences, names and addresses, and take these to your insurance company. Better still, use the form provided by your insurance company (that should be carried in your car) called a "constatazione amichevole" (friendly claim). It ensures that all the pertinent information is recorded, lets you draw a sketch of the accident and expedites settlement. If possible, take several clear photographs of the damage to your car in case of dispute.
In the event of a more serious accident, stop and wait for the police. Call 77 271 for the vigili urbani, 7733 for emergency doctors (medici volanti), 116 for the Automobile Club SOS, or 113, the general police emergency number.

Get witnesses whenever possible, and mark both cars positions on the road with chalk or whatever you have handy if the cars must be moved. Set up your emergency triangle marker (the law requires that you always carry one in your car) behind the vehicle, at 50 meters distance if youre on a city street and at 100 meters if youre on a highway or a road outside the city, and take down the other drivers name, driving licence number, address and insurance company details. Stay at the scene of the accident till you have spoken to the police in the event that someone has been hurt. Notify your insurance company immediately in person or by registered letter. 

With thanks to the Informer for this information